Tragedy struck at the Fox Hill Supercross race in Sri Lanka's Diyatalawa on Sunday, claiming the lives of seven individuals and leaving 21 others injured as a race car careened into spectators.

The incident, which occurred in Diyatalawa, an army base town in central southern Sri Lanka, resulted in the deaths of four race officials and spectators, including an eight-year-old girl, as confirmed by the army.

Details concerning the driver, their condition, and potential charges remain scant, prompting authorities to launch a comprehensive police investigation into the crash that transpired on the army-owned track.

Diyatalawa, renowned as a former garrison town, houses a military academy and serves as the backdrop for this tragic event, highlighting the need for scrutiny regarding safety measures at such venues.

Image Source :

Police spokesman Nihal Talduwa elucidated that the accident unfolded when the car deviated from its designated path, a sentiment echoed by eyewitnesses who observed the chaotic aftermath of a previous car overturning on the track.

Despite efforts to mitigate the situation by signaling yellow lights to caution approaching vehicles, the red car in question tragically lost control, hurtling into unsuspecting spectators along the unprotected sidelines of the track.

The aftermath of the tragic incident at the motor event reverberated across social media platforms, with footage capturing the chaos that ensued - cries from the crowd and frantic efforts by bystanders to assist those affected.

Initial reports indicated that five individuals succumbed to their injuries at the scene, while two others tragically passed away later in hospital. As of now, several individuals remain in critical condition, highlighting the severity of the incident.

In the wake of the tragedy, many Sri Lankans took to social media to express their dismay and raise pertinent questions regarding safety measures, particularly criticizing the absence of adequate barriers along certain sections of the track. The lack of robust protective measures has sparked considerable debate and calls for enhanced safety protocols to prevent similar accidents in the future.

The motor event, organized by the Sri Lankan Automobile Sports Association, has been a staple since its inception in 1993. However, due to pandemic restrictions and the country's economic challenges, this marked the first race in five years. Despite these setbacks, organizers decided to welcome spectators free of charge, attracting a sizable crowd of approximately 100,000 attendees eager to witness the long-awaited event unfold.